Recipe created in collaboration with Red Rich Fruits, locally-owned growers of superior quality fresh Australian fruit.
Featuring fresh cherries, chocolate and coconut, this non-dairy ice cream is a deliciously fresh combo of all your favourite “Cherry Ripe” flavours. Beautifully creamy, it’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. While we highly recommend using an ice cream maker for this recipe, it can also be made by hand. Instructions for both are included below.
Makes approx. 700ml
- 300g fresh cherries, pitted & roughly chopped
- 400ml can good quality coconut cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To make the ice cream base
1. Combine cherries, maple syrup and salt in a medium-sized saucepan (we found the Essteele Per Vita 2.8L saucepan was a perfect size),. Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat (approx. 5 mins).
2. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 mins or until the liquid has reduced by half.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
4. Once cooled completely, combine the cherry mixture, coconut cream, cocoa powder and vanilla essence in a blender. Purée until smooth, then place the mixture in the freezer for 30 mins or until chilled.
Ice Cream Maker Method
5a. Once chilled, transfer the Cherry Choc Coconut Ice Cream mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The result should be a creamy soft-serve consistency. Store your Cherry Choc Coconut Ice Cream in the freezer until ready to serve.
5b. While removing water from the cherries by cooking in a saucepan will help to reduce the iciness of the mixture, churning by hand will still be required to create a truly creamy consistency. Begin by transferring the Cherry Choc Coconut Ice Cream mixture into a freezer-proof bowl and freeze for 45 minutes. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and mix it thoroughly by hand before returning it to the freezer. Freeze for another hour, then repeat, scraping with a spoon to mix again before returning it to the freezer. Check on your Cherry Choc Coconut Ice Cream after one more hour and if not fully frozen, repeat the process one more time.
Although more work than the Ice Cream Maker Method, this No-Churn Method should reward you with perfectly creamy results.
Remove the Cherry Choc Coconut Ice Cream from the freezer to soften slightly 10 mins before serving. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut, shaved chocolate (be sure to use a vegan or dairy-free chocolate alternative if required), and fresh Red Rich Fruits cherries to serve.